2015-04-13

詩 The Perspective of Inanimate Objects

I am the patient coffee mug coaster
Never to be tragically broken
Like my cork-bottomed ceramic yellow-glazed brother
A souvenir from the ski stations of Hokkaido
Watch out! Bears are about!
出没注意 Kuma shutsu botsu chu-i 



A tough leather disk, me
Bravely carrying my corporate message
Pulsar Technologies, complete with logo and URL
Like talking and chewing gum
I can't do both jobs at once

You set down your mug, obscuring my message
Or I protect your vinyl countertop
Which doesn't really need protecting
But then you, the innovator, set me atop the cup
My bum gets steamy, I keep the coffee hot
I feel so useful

The writing stamped into my surface
Seems ancillary to the memories of your friend Gary
Whose desk you stole me from when he left for retirement
They say that material things don't matter
But when you let go of the very last one of them
You let go of everything.

(for 13 April 2015, National Poetry Writing Month)

No comments:

Post a Comment