2022-05-28

模倣子 Turkish-Iranian Reunification


I got a reply to my post

 


 @adamnesico  I'm afraid I don't understand your religion comment. Iran is Shi'ite, kind of an island of Shia'ism, while Turkey is 90%/10% in favor of Sunni? Both are Islam. Catholicism, Baptism, and Methodism may be more different, but somehow the USA sticks together. My main problem would be that Iran is theocratic. I'm not saying they WILL join, but that they are the two (only) stable countries in the region, surrounded by failed states over which they have or have historically had strong influence. Turkic culture and language (and religion) stretch from Istanbul to Western China, with Iran kind of an island of Sunni/Farsi in the middle, but historically sometimes involved. "Farsi" of course being the Arabic word for "Persian" and Urdu (major regional language, national language of Pakistan) originally a lingua franca of Farsi and Hindi languages. So I'd say that the languages, cultures, and religious of the region are pretty intertwined and the same in many cases. My thought is that IF and I mean IF those two countries somehow joined forces, and had some support from the world community, they could dominate and stabilize all the dumpster fires going on from Iraq to Central Asia to Western China. If there could be some agreement to safeguard Russian security and provide safe pipeline pathways through Afghanistan and such, it could be very stabilizing for the whole region. A "Greater Turkistan" that included Iran could even exert pressure on China to ease up on the Uighurs, for example. So I'm not so much interested in the "how" but the results of some kind of union or cooperation could produce. And I don't feel that the cultural, language, and religious differences are a show-stopper, of course, or I wouldn't've brought it up. East and West Germany reunited, and nobody thought that would happen. The Koreas may reunite soon and everybody will be surprised then (I won't). The EU happened, and I watched a lot of change take place during that process. Germany and the USSR signed the Ribbentropf-Malatov Accord during WWII and that was a shock to everybody. The US Civil War? That it happened? That it ended with the Union victory? These kinds of things happen all the time, and it's hard if not impossible to predict. That is NOT MY POINT. My point is that a lot of interesting things could happen over a very wide region that people have been wringing hands over for a very long time if these two very large, very powerful, only-stable-ones-in-the-region, historically sympathetic powers were to assert themselves in a way that was palatable to the rest of the international community.

No comments:

Post a Comment