2013-12-22

Japanese Grammar Diagram

This is a way of diagramming Japanese sentences which I came up with. The Ross-Kellogg (line diagram) for English sentences doesn't really work for Japanese for a number of reasons, hence this Venn Diagram format.
Basically, particles "wrap" the objects they decline, and/or connect them to other objects. Check out the example below:

Note how below I have removed the "layered" approach to the no-delimited modifiers and just make the noes connectors as elsewhere in the diagram. Please note how in both examples the koto wraps the whole main sentence, making it a noun phrase, which can then be used as the object, i.e., declined both as a possessive by the Little Mermaid (Princess) and by making it simultaneously the object of the act of ratting the Little Mermaid out to the king.

Please try to understand how the above works, post questions, even questions about the actual vocabulary, and I will try to answer them here, and bring questions to class next time.

6 comments:

  1. It seems that the quality of these pictures is a bit low. When I zoom in, it is quite blurry and I cannot make out the kanji well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try uploading an image with a higher quality, if I can. I probably have better-resolution ones on my camera.

      Delete
  2. Okay, when I used the full-size file, I think it is much, much clearer and you should be able to see all of the characters with no problem. Please let me know how you go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are much clearer now. Thanks for updating them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 下右にある緑の字は、どういう意味ですか。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 「電話で」つまり、電話を使って、王様にのばれること。Noun "telephone" declined to instrumental case (with "de") as the instrument used to rat out the Mermaid Princess (緑の右上にの「人魚姫様」) to the King.

      Delete