2015-12-26

模倣子 Cost-benefit of Female Power

You could posit a "virtual good" of "female beauty" the supply of which may be artificially increased by selling beauty products, and the demand for it inflated artificially by the mass media creation of this artificial "ideal [beautiful] woman".

===============================

You could say instead that a woman's worth (or "power" if you will) MAY be increased by enhancing her appearance, while the same is not true (or is MUCH less true) for a man. Hence there is significant economic value attached to same for a woman and not for a man. Then you are still absolutely right, that is, that the things that help a woman become more attractive, hence, more "powerful", are vastly increased in value.

You could just as well say to me that I should get an education, for example. I have shown my ability to study and could probably graduate, and then I'd get the pride and the leverage in terms of getting jobs and work visas in foreign countries (like France and Japan, et al). I could say that it's not economically worth it, and it's probably not, but there would be social stigma, and people would say things like "Your so smart [beautiful], why don't you make the effort to get a degree [make yourself look nice] so you can get ahead in life?" and think I was stupid and lazy not to do so. That's maybe what social pressure looks like, and if so, we all get it -- I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment