2021-12-23

模倣子 Provacativeness

 Medium.com article response - Memetic Index 


Moreso than with men, there’s a lot of handwringing around how women dress (and act), whether it’s “provocative” (whatever that means). But provocative to whom? And why? Is it deliberate? What does that even mean? I think that, a propos of nothing but for what it’s worth, there’s a Japanese saying 美人は皆の者 “A beautiful woman belongs to everyone”. It’s confusing, difficult to clarify. As I wrote, if I’m a person who get “excited/upset” by how some women present themselves (dress, etc.), I may be the victim of my own narcissism, i.e., that the women in question are somehow “doing it on purpose” or “to me” to get me riled up, or of a cognitive dissonance to do with my delusion of control over others (how they dress/act) and their “responsibility” not to do anything to upset me (which of course entails knowing what upsets me in the first place). Again, this is all deeply narcissistic thinking. Again, we don’t seem to worry about this when it comes to men, perhaps because men to not have the same ability to be “provocative” (again, whatever that means).

No comments:

Post a Comment