2024-06-29

模倣子 SUSPECNA on A Medium

 Macromemetic Index - Original A Medium Article - SUSPECNA Notes 

Good point about multiple parties. Out here in the west it seems like we could do with a “farmers party” and probably a “green party” as foci which are especially relevant. 


I have an idea, about which I have been vigorously dragging my butt on for several years now, well, I’ve done research, spoken to a few lawyer friends about drafting legislation, and I’ve found the Uniform Law Commission (though I haven’t actually contacted them yet). Each State would be asked to pass an election law, rather like Maine and Nebraska have, that effectively gets rid of “winner takes all” in presidential elections and introduces ranked choice voting. 


The combination of these relatively minor changes (the electoral college would not be amended in the Constitution at this time) I believe would allow entry of other parties, and eliminate the phenomenon of “battleground States”. For instance, the 30%-40% of California Republicans and 49% of Texas Democrats could no longer be ignored or taken for granted and would have to be wooed just like Pennsylvanians, Michigan voters, and everybody else. 


The ballot would not change much. You’d still vote for your single elector (just like your single House representative), but also for two  at-large electors. I’m thinking of including provisions for “small States” (eg, Wyoming) to “donate” their at-large electors to other States by vote of their legislatures. Why they would decide to do this is left up to them, but that takes care of the “overrepresentation issue” inherent in the electoral college…for now. 


Anyway, stuff like that. 


Working title: Maybe SUSPECNA (Simplified Uniform State Popular Electoral College Normalization Act). I'm open to suggestions, but "The Popular People's Front of Judea" is right out.


By the way, I reckon the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, apparently already passed by some twenty States, is rubbish on the face of it, but also rather frightening given that Texas sued (correct me if I get the list wrong) Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Georgia (through the machinations of, as I understand it, a Trump toady who was hoping for a pardon, but still…) over how they counted their votes, but it was thrown out by SCOTUS based on standing. It’s seems to me that two States, both signatories of a uniform law that specified how to count votes and how to coöperate on what to do about the results might constitute standing. I’ve gotten mixed reviews on this idea, but worst case scenario is if NPVIC reaches the 273 electoral vote threshold we may see States suing each other in the Supreme Court continually and it’ll be Bush-Gore 2000 forever and we’ll never have another actual election. 


Join me if your interested! Suggestions welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment