2011-05-14

Ode to a Leaf

A small golden leaf, flecked lightly with green,
I look up at your tree, you drop down to me.

O small golden leaf, flecked lightly with green,
Pray, tell, why are you smaller than those still in the tree? 
 
Your body I rend, breaking your stem,
I pull on each end and break you in twain --
Was your life to wane that others might gain?

O small golden leaf, flecked lightly with green,
I look back up at your tree and in doing so see
That leaves such as you are a minority. 
 
O small golden leaf, abandoned by your tree,
Was your death merely a frivolous cruelty? 
 
O small golden leaf, for you I greive.
Your sad story I hope will never be written of me.
But pray, tell me, friend leaf, are you and your tree
Anything like me and the rest of humanity?
 
-- first poem written, copyright © 2005
1 

No comments:

Post a Comment